1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What’s your most true spooky story? Have you ever seen a ghost?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Suitsme, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Suitsme

Suitsme Guest

Ok so I see, hear and sense spirit and I have out of body experiences so I’ve got a plethora of stories to tell. I’ve experienced bad spirits and also good ones. I’m not afraid of “ghosts” but I’m fascinated in people’s stories of whatever encounter they’ve had. Please share your stories....

Here is one of mine which isn’t directly my story but one of a friend and her daughter....

My friend’s mother passed away but she left her house to her granddaughter (my friend’s daughter)

She settled into her new inherited home with her little girl, contented in the fact that she was living in her grandmother’s house. All was well until she started to hear banging sounds coming from upstairs in the main bedroom. She dismissed these noises because she couldn’t find a logical explanation for them and hoped they’d just go away.

The next thing was that odd things like lights switching on, washing machine switching on and some of her little girl’s toys would move. Her little girl who had just started talking would mutter words to what seemed like an invisible person as she passed a toy over to nothing,

The noises upstairs in the main bedroom got louder and louder until my friend’s daughter couldn’t cope any longer since she realised something out of the ordinary was occurring. She contacted a local vicar. He came to bless the house and for a while things went quiet.

A few weeks later it all started up again. She spoke to her mum in tears. They couldn’t understand because her grandmother had lived in this house with no issues at all for decades.

Someone suggested she go to a spiritualist church to ask for advice. So she and her mother went to the local one, in the hope that they could find a medium who might be able to help.

The medium who was attending the service that evening luckily lived locally and offered to visit the house to see what she could do. So the next week, she arrived at the house to find my friend and her daughter eagerly awaiting and hoping they’d get some answers.

They indeed got answers. The medium asked where the main problem was in the house and they directed her to the the main bedroom. As soon as the medium stepped into the room she could see the spirit! The spirit spoke to the medium. The medium said to my friend and her daughter, “Would you please pull the carpet back over there in the corner. You’ll find a loose floorboard” They did as they were asked. The medium was smiling and said “ I have your grandmother here and she says she hid all her best jewellery under the floorboard there but her sudden death meant she never got to tell anyone it was there”. The medium told them that all the noise was her grandmother trying to tell her about this jewellery.

My friend burst into tears as they pulled out a little bag from under the floor. It did indeed contain the missing jewellery that they couldn’t find amongst this lady’s things after she’d pass away.

The medium told them that my friend’s mother was happy now and could move on. After that, all the noise disappeared and my friend’s daughter continued to live in the house with no issues at all.

I remember all this happening and everyone involved were truly amazed.

2. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a few ghost/paranormal stories. One I heard from my Uncle (technically second cousin) that happened to his parents on their homestead.
    He told it so much better than I'm going to tell it, but I'll try.

His parents had always heard sounds coming from the upstairs of their house and one day someone was making the beds (I think it was a daughter-in-law) and all she saw was a pair of boots standing behind the curtains. When she noticed she ran downstairs and told them there was a man behind the curtains, and they kind of just laughed it off and said, "Oh that's just Andrew!"

They knew about this ghost living in their house, though they didn't know who it was or what his/her name was, and they wanted to give it a name and decided to call it 'Andrew'. A few years later, they discovered that there was a man who died in a fire on their property whose name was Andrew.

-------

I have a few consecutive stories that I've experienced myself, and I believe they're related to my grandfather who passed away a few weeks before I started experiencing these things.

The first experience was my dad and I were sitting on the deck across from each other sitting around the table, and how the deck is laid out my back was facing the stairs, where my dad would have had full view of them. It's not entirely spooky, but I just got the feeling that there was someone standing behind me, I'd say about 6-10 feet away standing by the stairs, and I know no one was physically standing there because my dad would have said something to them.

The second time I was just about to fall asleep and I felt a hand (a left hand) on my shoulder. I knew it was a hand because I felt the palm and fingers. At first I thought it was just my blankets settling down and getting heavier, but it honestly felt like a hand on my shoulder. When I turned around, there was no one there and I would have heard or seen someone leave if there was.

The third time I had to get up early for work and I had my alarm set for 5:00 AM, and before my alarm had even gone off I felt someone wake me up by putting the tips of their fingers on my back. When I checked my alarm it was 4:59 AM. When I was done work, I asked my parents if they had woke me up that morning and they both had said no.

Not necessarily spooky, but I think it's pretty interesting.

3. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I watch too many horror movies -if any of the above happened to me I would have an accident hahah

Once my dad and I were caming (fairly remote) and we were by the lake at night. There was a large, bright flash of light on the other shore. It was like somebody threw a bomb but just light came out (is that what a flare is? Hmm). Its a dumb analogy, but I can't think of another way to describe how the light looked. The other shore was so close you'd spend more time getting in and out of the canoe than paddling across. Remote enough that nobody else was on the lake, didn't see anybody else the entire time, and didn't hear anybody else (and sound travels amazingly on lakes at night). Not a ghost story, but weird. I am certain it wasn't human related,and havent found any other more natural explainations.

4. Suitsme

Suitsme Guest

That’s really interesting how they instinctively knew his name was Andrew!

I love how you sensed the spirit on the stairs. You just knew someone was there. I get that often and it always makes me wonder who it is when I can’t see the spirit or hear it.

I also love your stories of feeling the hand, especially when it woke you up before the alarm went off. I hate alarm clocks as they shock me! It sounds like you have a loved one in spirit there who wanted to wake you up more gently.

There was one time my son had gone down stairs into the living room at around 3am. He came straight back up and text me to see if I was awake (which I was). He said how absolutely freezing it was just in the front part of the living room and he felt like someone was there. So I went back downstairs with him and that part of the living room was literally like a blast freezer! You could see the breath in front of your face. The rest of the room was warm! We never got to the bottom of who it was but there was definitely someone there.

5. Suitsme

Suitsme Guest

That’s awesome. It could even have been some sort of UFO perhaps?

I love these kind of mysteries.

I remember once my mum and me were sitting in the living room facing the french doors and it was a beautiful sunny day outside. Suddenly a thick mist started to swirl in front of the doors outside. It came so thick that we couldn’t see the pond and the fountain. It lasted a couple of minutes and then just vanished. We stepped outside and there was no smoke or mist anywhere and nothing that could have caused it. We were left totally baffled!

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have not. I have been in lonely and isolated places at night, walking from one place to another, where I have been on edge. Like walking down a dirt road that's next to a big cemetery. Not a good feeling. Maybe it's from watching too many scary movies.

7. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was getting past the age of trick-or-treat I decided instead I was going to spend Halloween night in the cemetery. I grew up in a rural area, this cemetery had been an extended family gravesite for farmers more than a century or two (discontinued about 50 years before this night), not too big, tucked in with the farm land. I could walk to it through the wood lot from our home. I’d hung out there in daylight before, and pulled weeds now and then, or brought over our mower. I was familiar with the layout.

As the evening went on, my anxiety rose, and then I felt my hair raise up. I was so terrified. I’d been sitting at the back row of the gravestones, and got up, first walking then running. Something tripped me and I fell. I got up and dashed off, heart racing.

The next day I came back to see what tripped me, but the cemetery was just smooth grass and moss, nothing there. That was creepy! What was it that tripped me and had scared me so much?

I never hung out in the cemetery at nighttime ever again. But I’m glad I dared to do it that one night, for as long as I could.

8. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A friend of mine owns an authentic "old west" saloon on the west coast of the USA that was built around 1880ish and has been operated the whole time as a popular bar/saloon. Apparently, he and many others in the town are 100% convinced that there are multiple ghosts from over the last 150 years that live there (there were a lot of deaths in the building, due to it being from the wild west with quickdraw duels and whatnot) and they've researched exactly who the ghosts are from police reports and other stuff from way back then.

His favorite story:

One of the supposed ghosts is an early 1900's police officer named Henry who was knifed to death while trying to break up a bar fight. His body fell down a staircase leading into a basement bar room during the fight, and the ghost now lives around the staircase. There was a musician just a few years ago who was waiting to get paid for a show there, had never been to the town before, and never heard anything about the ghosts before who went down into the basement bar to pack up their equipment. She was down there a really long time, and eventually when she came back she told the owner that the downstairs bartender was really cool and interesting and they talked about a bunch of stuff. The only people in the building were her and the owner, there is no downstairs bartender. She said the bartender's name was Henry and described exactly what he was wearing to prove it. The owner told her again there was nobody else in the building...her face got really pale and she just immediately left, wouldn't even take the money she was owed from the show.

9. Suitsme

Suitsme Guest

It’s amazing how the mind can play tricks isn’t it? Like you say, we’ve all watched too many spooky movies. It’s a horrible feeling when you get creeped out like that. You end up walking at a very fast pace lol

10. Suitsme

Suitsme Guest

You did well! For one, there’s no way would I do that alone for a start.

In my twenties there was a cemetery that we used to cut through on the way home from a night out. There’d be about three or four of us, I’d drank that much I never got spooked lol

But to actually stay there alone! You were very brave!!

11. Suitsme

Suitsme Guest

That’s amazing. No wonder she legged it! That experience will be firmly etched in her mind forever lol.

It’s amazing how these old buildings, like pubs, theatres, hotels etc etc can have so many ghosts. I’d love to stay overnight in a building that’s haunted. With someone else of course. If there are spirits in a place, for sure I’ll connect with them. I am not scared as long as they’re not negative entities. Then I totally freak out lol

#11 Suitsme, Apr 14, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2021
  12. maybon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    About twenty years ago my sister was having some disturbances in her house: noises, lights coming on and off etc. It was definitely escalating and she took her friend's advice to call the local priest - it's this character I think makes the story.

He came at the appointed time joined by "Jackie" his helper from the Church. From the moment he arrived he was giggling and laughing which seemed totally out of place to the concerned family. For example he walked into the living room, asked to be introduced to everyone and then turned to the large faux Italian Aphrodite lamp and said "and you madam?" then dissolved in giggles again. Jackie whispered something to him and he sat down on as little of the edge of the sofa as he could manage.

He got my sister to describe what had been happening, "gormless" is the best description of his expression. Then it got really odd. Giggling he narrated what he would do, how he would say a prayer, then walk around the house sprinkling it with holy water then reassemble everyone for some final prayers ... "Let's start!" he said as he stood up and then the television in the corner, which wasn't switched on, gave a loud flash and bang. Everyone froze and looked at it, and some were instantly upset. The priest he turned, looked at the telly and said to it "Enough of that now, don't be naughty!" and ... giggled.

He said his prayers then as my sister was to lead him round for the blessing with Holy Water, she said "will we start upstairs, should we come with you?" His reply "Well Im not walking round a house like this on my own!" and ... chuckled.

At the top of the stairs he stopped where the nursery and master bedroom joined and looked intently at the wall and then rapped it, "This hasn't always been here has it?" "No, we put that in when we'd the baby" He smiled, sanely for once, and said "Ah, here's your problem. How would you like to wake up one morning and discover someone has built a wall through your bed? You've disturbed the spirit of the house and one of your predecessors, in fact he's raging at me now." It was, my sister said, a moment of goosebumps on goosebumps. The priest blessed the wall as if he was examining it for building regs then turned with a smile and said "There, all gone, you'll have no trouble anymore."

Declining a cup of tea, and an offered tenner, saying he needed a rest he and Jackie left.

My aunt saw Jackie a couple of weeks later and reminded herself to her and asked the inevitable question "That priest, why was he so ... odd" Jackie rolled her eyes "You're telling me, he makes me go with him because he's absolutely terrified. He can't stand scary things from films to roller coasters so he needs company." "And all that giggling?" - "Oh, he says that's Jesus tickling him under the chin so he can get though it."!

13. Suitsme

Suitsme Guest

That’s one of the funniest stories ever LOL

What a character that priest was!!! I laughed so much reading this. Thank you for sharing :grin:

I’m also glad he was able to determine what the problem was and actually solve it. :slight_smile:

14. shadowgeek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have three ghosts that live in my house that i see on a regular basis and one of them is my grandfather.

15. Suitsme

Suitsme Guest

That’s awesome that your Grandfather is there with you! Have you managed to discover who the other two are?

16. shadowgeek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yeah one of them is a lifegard named john and the other is a 13 year old orphan girl.

17. Suitsme

Suitsme Guest

Absolutely awesome!!!!

18. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think one of the creepiest experiences I've had is when I went to visit an old mansion. The place is a protected building and open to the public, I'd been to mansions like this before but this one felt very different. It wasn't like a place I'd visited that had been known for hosting extravagant balls, that place had felt happy and hedonistic. But this? No.

There was a solemn tone that hit me as soon as I entered. Something was wrong. A thought entered my head. They weren't happy. I felt puzzled and a little creeped out by such a thought, but as I looked around once more I realised why. The furniture, although expensive, was garish and none of it matched. It struck me as a place that was merely for show rather than one that had been actively lived in, the furniture was far apart and often facing away from each other as if there had been a fight. So I gained the sense that no one had really stuck around in this family, and it turned out I was right. I read the plaques positioned in each room and learnt that the family had been miserable and were often staying in different places around the country. That no one really stuck around for long.

It included some creepy objects too - such as an illuminated cherub head and old porcelain dolls with vacant smiles. The library / hallway room was disturbing, there were scenes from mythology depicted in the tall ceiling that were incredibly gory and I would imagine it would have been quite scary seeing such things at night. It was a tall but narrow room that made me feel as if I were in a birdcage. There was something haunting about the room, as if I'd walked in on a scene of tragedy which it turned out I had. Apparently three men had lost their sanity due to being sent to war and never fully recovered. It had resulted in three suicides. Likely in that very room, according to diary entries that had been left behind.

The servants' room was cold and offered little space. I walked in and without thinking I apologised. My presence felt like an intrusion. As if I'd walked in on a bunch of people talking in ushered tones. There was no one there of course. The room felt like an afterthought, crammed in to the design of the house as if the architect had previously forgotten to include it.

19. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Actually the one that still gets me doesn't have to do with ghosts, but how uncanny one gentleman giving me directions was. He lived way the heck out in the middle of nowhere Wyoming, like not only no cell service out there but not even AM radio stations, three hours from a paved road out there.
    He gave me really detailed directions which was unusual in itself; that's a whole different rant; but he said if I thought I passed his drive way drive exactly ten more minutes. I thought he was pulling my leg, but he was right, exactly ten minutes from the spot I thought I had gone too far was his mail box. Legit creepy because of the terrain and landscape you couldn't see that spot in the road from the house and it sure as heck wasn't a wide enough road to turn a big truck around. So I have no idea how he knew where people turned around at.

20. old tacoma

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This happened when I was in high school. My best friend and I were driving from our small town to spend a few days at his parents’ cabin in the mountains, about a three hour trip. My friend was driving. As we were going up a winding mountain road, I suddenly noticed a house along the side, and I yelled, “Pull over! Stop the car!” I looked at the house, and said, “I got to check out this house.” There was no one home, and no neighboring houses. We got out of the car, and walked around. Everything about the house was exactly as I “remembered” it, and I was telling my friend where everything would be before we got to it, around the outside of the house and the barn. As we walked to the front and back porches, I stayed on the steps and asked my friend to look in the windows, while I looked away and accurately described the rooms and furniture inside. My friend was getting totally creeped out, but I was fascinated — how could I possibly know so much about this house? After I had satisfied my curiosity, we drove on to his parents’ cabin. I felt really strange about the experience but my friend and I were together to have some fun, so I just kept my thoughts to myself. When we left the cabin, we drove home by another route. Once I was back home, I asked my Mom if Dad had ever taken us through that area while he was still alive. Mom said no, we had never gone there and couldn’t imagine how I would have known about a house there. I still don’t have any explanation for what I experienced.