1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost the focus to do my job at home

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Vega222, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My father is unwell. Annoys himself and others by his bad behaviour. There are some other family problems.
    Politic things are unavoidable. I decided to stay detached but people force you to hear things.

I simply can't do my job with these distractions. I can't have any focus on it. Especially since I do it at home. What would you do to gain some focus and ability to do your job?

Andrew7 likes this.
  2. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can only say that I also can’t stay focused with online job and education.

You probably tried this, but when it comes to people talking, listening to music does it for me.

LostInDaydreams likes this.
  3. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've lost my ability to keep my mind on my work. I'm really not well and can't imagine how I would do my work before, Because it seems so hard now.

There was too much disputes and annoyances since yesterday. Am feeling pestered.

#3 Vega222, Jan 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  4. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry to hear that you’re in this situation. If you are not well, can you take some time off or can your employer support you in some way? If I was in this situation, speaking to my manager would be one of the first things that I would do, but you’ll know how your company works better than me.

Can you find somewhere to work where you can’t be disturbed or hear anyone else? I usually work in my bedroom, with the door closed if I want no distractions at all.

Vega222, Shorthaul and Andrew7 like this.
  5. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with Lost, speak with your manager and let them know you are having difficulties working from home. It may be possible to work from some place other than your home, like a public library.

6. jessie19

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Exactly, as part of a management team, if people have issues working from home due to things like distractions, we have on several occasions allowed them to work from a coffee shop or public place

7. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Things are a bit more complicated. I don't want to keep this job for a long time. I wish I save some more money and quit it within 2 months. Actually I gave all of my savings to my family, If I hadn't I could've quit the job sooner.

But I'll try to talk to my employer to say this is very hard for me. Maybe they think I am having fun when I am not doing my job and I don't have any bad feelings for not being productive. They have to know the truth. I'm suffering from this situation more than anyone.

8. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Fortunately, I don't have to stay in this job. So, It'd be not honest to ask for such a huge solution like this. It would be as if I want to stay with them for a long time. I don't think this is possible to work from another place anyway. I have only a pc and not a laptop. And more than 1000km away from them.
    Just going to let them know I am suffering from this.

#8 Vega222, Jan 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  9. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just talked to my employer and his response was shocking.
    He said I know it's hard to work from home and I know most of your work is researching, trial/error, etc. He said I confirm you've been honest, determined and hardworking.

But he also said do a research about the rent costs, You should have your own small office. He said I can help you for the renting of the office. He also said you should build your team there and we can help you for paying and teaching them.

My response was I am not ready for this and I should think about it and ask others about it. He said try to be ready for this at 6 months later.

I thanked him for proposing this and believing in me. But I feel really weird about it for many reason. This is really a clinging job.:face_palm: I was hoping I'd tell them I can't work from home and quit it soon. :slight_smile:) Now they gave me this offer.

Either I have an extraordinary impostor syndrome or there is something wrong with this company. I don't know what kind of programmers they've had in their company before me. Maybe they were too bad and this makes them think I am not bad. I am really confused.

10. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know why he did this.:head_bandage: He also said you could move to the capital and work in our offices, but it means you should rent a house which would be difficult. He's right, It's very expensive to live in the capital (aside from the renting cost).

Nonetheless, I don't want to work for them for long. The language they use is not what I want to work on in long-term. He seems to have forgotten what I said it to him the first day. I clearly said I want to work for you for a while because I don't have "work experience" and it's hard to get a job without experience.

This is too bad and hope it ends sooner.

#10 Vega222, Jan 13, 2021
  11. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It seems that your manager has been supportive, which is good. As you’re not planning on being there for long, I can understand why you’re reluctant to take them up on their offers.

Do you think that you can carry on as you are for as long as needed?

12. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You mean keeping up with the current conditions? Yeah, I can do it. Because it's temporary. But he don't give me much work and keeps telling me to study and learn the more advanced technologies they use. As if I have a plan to work with them in long-term. :slight_smile:) I clearly said I don't want to learn it and would like to on projects a few weeks ago. He then said just study 1 hour a day if you can!

Some days I don't have anything to do (except learning / studying) and he had said study 1 hour a day if you can! So, I guess studying/learning what he asked me to, is better than doing nothing for them. I mean, I feel bad for getting paid while doing nothing. Even learning those things cannot help me feel much better. Because I probably won't become good enough to use it for them in these last few weeks. Is it clear? I feel guilty.

#12 Vega222, Jan 13, 2021
  13. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, that makes sense. I can understand why you feel guilty, but you’ve told them your position and they have decided to ask you to do it anyway. Do you think they are hoping to persuade you to stay with them long term? They seem to be impressed with what you’ve done so far. I suppose you’ve asked for more or different work? Would the studying these things be of any value to you in the future?

Vega222 likes this.
  14. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I told him I don't like to learn it (not true, but I said it because in this short time it will probably no use for them. It'll be better for them to give me some job like previous months.) So I said I don't like to learn these things and I prefer to give me some job to do. When I said I don't like it, He said it's OK. Then he politely asked me to study it at least one hour a day. But again, They didn't give me much job either! So, I decided to spend my work time to learn what they've asked. I didn't ask for different work, but I asked to get the same works as before. :slight_smile:)

Yeah they hope I'll stay with them. That's bad. I had started to learn some different language/framework, long before I started this job. I'd like to stick with my original expertise for many reason. Yeah, It's like 80% percent related to my original language/framework. So, It'd be quite useful for me to learn them. But not my priority at this time.

#14 Vega222, Jan 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  15. Really

Hey @Vega222

Besides the distractions at home which I hope have eased up a bit, it sounds kind of like you’re being under utilized at work. And let me tell you, I can sympathize with being unmotivated because of it. Some things that have helped me in the past with that is to take some aspect of the boring job and see how it can use the technology I am interested in and make it more efficient. Figure out how to make it less boring to do it. Bonus if I can learn something new and interesting for myself.

If that doesn’t really apply to your situation, how about doing your own little projects in your area of interest that will benefit you when you get your next job. Win-win. :}
    Just a thought. :slight_smile:

Vega222 likes this.
  16. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey,
    Yeah that's kinda like what you said. I HAVE to work on my own projects, sharpening my skills (little I have), because I am not ready for the next job. But the current job consumes my time because it's not like a fixed 9-5 office job and I procrastinate. I long for having a fixed hour job.
    I am better now. Thanks.

(They gave me a little extra money this month (25% more than usual salary) and told it's for your efforts on a project)

17. Really

New thought. :]

Since your job doesn’t have fixed hours, could you set your own schedule? I’m not saying arranging it with your boss but for yourself? Give yourself some structure.

eg.
    9-12 : work tasks, emails, etc
    1-3 : online tutorials or projects for your own learning
    3-5 : work tasks, etc

This is just an example but I think if you took back some control of how you spent your time, your procrastination could ease away.

As far as your next job, could you research postings that interest you and what skills you might need to have to pursue such a position? You could focus on those skills to learn. Good luck.

LostInDaydreams and Vega222 like this.