1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News More LGBT Kids will Die?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by johndeere3020, Nov 21, 2020.

1. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    #1 johndeere3020, Nov 21, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Why is it even called therapy? If you don't want guide a patient to improve their lives, are you really a therapist?

In terms of free speech, often times there IS free speech, it's just that there will be consequences from the public.

3. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    They believe that they are improving lives, by changing people to something that their "loving god" will no longer torture forever in hell. (not that it can actually change anyone, or that I believe in an actual "god" or a hell)

4. Loves books

Conversion therapy can’t actually work. I presume eventually the people going through it are either brainwashed or saying what people want to hear just for it to end. I have read a book that had aversion therapy in it as a means to convert someone back to being straight. It didn’t work in the book and I doubt it would work in real life. You can’t change sexual orientation with therapy.

5. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey thats my handle and I went through conversion therapy (I call it proxy conversion therapy). Hoot, hoot. And I'm still alive!

#5 brainwashed, Dec 5, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  6. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've actually been calling conversion therapy, conversion abuse for some time now. It;s bull shit to call conversion therapy, therapy.

7. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    #7 brainwashed, Dec 5, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  8. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was put through it also, it shoved me back into the closet. I believe that is how I ended up disabled as I am. I just indicate it as conversion "therapy". It is torture designed to convince people that living miserable in this life as someone they are not "saves" them from being tortured forever by the "loving god" they believe in.

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Instead of going into a closet, some people become clerics in different denominations to avoid that and gain respect in the process. Certainly not all of them. But I've seen it and I don't like it.

10. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    He is not at all conservative. He wants people to think that. He surrounds himself with Pence and appoints conservative government VIPs so he can further his political agenda and insatiable appetite for fame and power.

11. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was unable to bring myself to do that. Growing up the congregation that I was in was trying to groom me for the ministry. When I left that church after college my sunday school teacher even wrote me a letter asking me to keep at it even if I did not believe because of how I could be used to influence people and inculcate them, I was sickened by that then and still am now.

12. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really like this comment. Thanks.

13. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cult, run for your life. Save yourself.

Seriously this is such an unbelievable (fantastic) comment because if gives a first hand account of people practicing cult behavior.

#13 brainwashed, Dec 8, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  14. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE THROUGH GOD, is how he started.............................

15. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That particular event happened in 1981, though I have been in the clutches of several cults since then.

16. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I googled his name. Why did he get to live to be 94? Nine kids, 17 grandkids, 14 great grand kids. A minister since 1948, suppose any of them know about the story he told us about going to the bathhouses in Minneapolis? How many people did he hurt along the way in the name of God? How many young people took their own lives because of a message he helped spread? Yep, I'm pissed today, and at this moment in time I'm glad he is dead. Least he can't hurt anyone else.

17. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We all seem to agree that more states need to ban it and they especially need to ban it for people under 18 to start with.

For people over 18, it seems that governments reason that people who have reached 18 can choose to pick what types of medical and mental health services they want. So if there's a demand for it, there will be someone to provide it and make money from it.

People over 18 are going for these services. There aren't many and it's dropping. It has to be that they come from religious and political environments where they are looked down on. Then they try to "change" to get approval. They may also implode in the process.

I support it being banned for everyone. I don't see that happening though.

18. zename

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, should children who have HOCD not seek out therapy? Ah, but how does a child know if they are genuinely attracted to the same sex or if it's just obsessive compulsive thoughts they are having?

Questions not answered with blanket statements.

19. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with part of what you're saying. I speak from my own point of view. The answers therapy will give are all over the board, from being same sex attracted to it being about something else and everything in between. A client or patient will also get different answers from different therapists and there's the risk of being led down different paths - from a supportive path to a destructive one. In an area like this, it's probably better to stay away from "fire and brimstone" and "feel good" therapists as two opposing practice styles.

In therapy, which I am in as an adult for various reasons, I want to understand the roots of all the issues that have come or continue to come my way. And so would a person who is concerned about their sexuality, which they can obsess over. I just don't believe in conversion therapy. The odds of conversion are very low and I'm not going to even touch this. It's just that it puts people seeking it at risk of more damaging circumstances, and that includes children, teens, and adults.

20. zename

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree that forcibly trying to change what a person thinks/believes should be a non-starter.

The issue with legislation is trying to define "forcibly trying to change" someone versus merely discussing and exploring issues. I don't believe anyone should jump on supporting or opposing a piece of legislation, merely because someone describes it as doing X or Y.

I would contend that, if through discussion and exploring the issues you find that your same-sex attraction isn't genuine or a sexual attraction then therapy did it's job just as well as if they had confirmed your same-sex attraction.

So while I would agree with the ends, I'm suspect of any legislation trying to make the issue black and white. Generally, the more narrow it can get in defining what is proscribed the better.