1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music in foreign languages

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by BadassFrost, Nov 28, 2017.

1. BadassFrost

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What do you guys think about songs in foreign languages, especially the ones you don't understand? Is that a plus for you, that it for example sounds more exotic and unique to you? Or rather minus that you don't get the lyrics?

For me it is mostly plus, as I just really like listening to foreign languages, and after being surrounded by Czech and English songs all the time, it just makes the song more interesting to me... (Also it is a huge plus if the song has stupid lyrics and you don't understand them so it won't spoil the feeling of the song for you.. :grin:)

For example I just stumbled across this song on yt, and I bet that if the lyrics were in a language I speak, I would probably skip it (it's not even the type of music I usually listen to), but the language of this song made me more interested in it, and even interested in learning something about Latvian language...

2. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I started listening to the German band Schandmaul this year, and I now have all of their albums and live DVDs. Absolutely love their music. They're classed as a medieval rock band as they have a folky sound and a lot of their songs are about old battles and ancient legends and fairy tale characters, and I'm a big fan of fantasy so it's right up my street even though I don't understand all of the lyrics. I've googled translations for their songs and they end up being about something completely different to what I thought it was about. Doesn't bother me that I can't understand all the lyrics because I can enjoy the singer's voice just like I enjoy all the instruments that the other band members are playing. In fact, it's quite nice to not be distracted by what the singer is saying and just enjoy the sound.

I discovered their music when they did a duet with the Finnish singer Tarja Turunen, who sings in several different languages. Her German singing sounds gorgeous.

3. Lacayda

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm German and I've never heard of Schandmaul:grinning:

I think if you aren't a native English speaker you listen to songs in foreigns languages all day long. You just have to turn the radio on, many songs are English ones. Personally I like listening to French and Spanish songs even though I don't understand everything but I don't really like listing to a song if I don't understand anything at all. Sometimes, for example when it's ESC-time, I actually do kinda like to listen to other languages and to hear what they sound like but if I listen to a song regularly I want to know what ti's about without always having to google thd lyrics.

4. Flowey

I like to listen to the same song in diferrent languages. Feel like the discovering your favorite song the first time over again and again.

5. Suomi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like foreign language songs.

6. solangelo7

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I personally LOVE Kpop. It's not that I love not understanding the lyrics, in fact I can sing a lot of the songs myself, but geez damn those Korean boys are hot! And of course their music is refreshingly catchy, a nice change from boring old Western music.
    Check out this band BTS, or Bangtan Boys, if you want some amazing stuff.

7. rokara

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I absolutely love listening to songs in other languages! My favorite to listen to is Rammstein, mainly because I'm a major metalhead lol.

Singing songs in other languages is also a ton of fun. Hardest language I had to sing in was Latin, and I believe if my memory serves correctly, that I've sang a few songs in German, Russian and French waaaay back in high school choir

8. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Then go listen to them at once!

Only joking. They might not appeal to you, but they do to me because I've never been a pure fan of heavy metal, I like a bit of rock and a bit of metal, and I've never been a pure fan of classical music, I like the odd movie soundtrack.
    But bring those genres together and I'm :grin:

I did learn German at school, and I was even in the top group, but I never put the language to any good use. I was always quiet and didn't like talking at the best of times, so there's no way I can listen to a whole song and understand every lyric. I would like to visit Germany some day though.

9. heyrita

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's cute, the beat of the song is enough for you to understand it. My current foreign jam is Reggaeton Lento by CNCO.

10. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I sometimes like to listen to foreign music just for something completely different. Currently my favorite foreign artist is Japanese-American Angela Aki. She does music in both Japanese and English and has a beautiful voice. The first song here is one of her own while the second is a Japanese language cover of Boz Scaggs "We're All Alone."

11. Sundara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I love all music from all over the world:
    Sattar-Yaganegi (Persia)
    Indonesian Pop music
    Degung - Sundanese Music
    Salif Keita - West Africa
    Greek Music - Haris Alexiou
    Sogdiana- Uzbekistan
    Italy-Andrea Bocceli
    Cesaria Evora

12. Justinian20

I love listening to foreign language music, I have plenty of Japanese language songs, I have a few Swedish, Danish songs, I have a few Spanish ones as well, mostly Spanish versions of English language songs. I tend to like all different sorts of different language music because the language of music is a universal language. I prefer electronic or metal when it comes to foreign language songs and because J Pop uses a lot of electronic and fun sounds I enjoy J Pop.

13. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I dig some music in foreign languages. German is my fave language

When an awesome Heavy Metal song or awesome Aggrotech song is sang in the German language, then it earns bonus points with me

14. MadDog

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh my God that's how i feel about music in other languages, and this song is really catchy.

15. MadDog

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is so hilarious I don't even know who sattar is and I'm persian and i know i wouldn't like his work. But it's foreign to you so you like it.

16. Rowe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I listen to a lot of Estonian music. My favorite artists are Grete Paia (pop) and Urban Symphony (classical/pop mix). Outside of them, some songs I like are Verona (Italian Version) by Koit Toome and Laura Põldvere, Nädalalõpp by Koit Toome, Head Uut Aastat! by Laura Põldvere, and Leto Svet by Kreisiraadio (say what you will about that song, but I think it's amazing).

17. Twist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am a sound --> sensation (taste, touch, smell) synesthete. Lyrics aren't particularly important to me, but the voice is, as well as how the language sounds/flows with the music. For example, if it sounds stilted, that would bother me.

18. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    For me it depends on the song. Some songs that I like that are in foreign languages include:
    99 Luft Balloons by Nena (German)
    Ce'st Te Toi by Billy Joel (English/French)

19. azzi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I
    Thanks for sharing this!!!

20. Shoei Loei

Shoei Loei Guest

I grew up listening to a lot of varied Middle Eastern-ish music (Assyrian, Persian/Farsi, Arabic, Greek, Turkish, etc.)...although Greek & Turkish music might not be considered Middle Eastern though. I grew up listening to a bit of Russian music as well. But the only one I actually understood was the Assyrian music. Have to admit, all that music isn’t really my forte these days, since it just reminds me of the music my family listened to when I was a kid. Nowadays, I still like some music in other languages, but it depends on the band/music. Currently, Bjork & Sigur Ros are my jam...guess I’m into the Icelandic stuff lately. That being said, this hella old-school Persian song was my jam when I was like 3 years old lol:

Super nostalgic vibes. Ignore the random delicious images in the video though haha.

#20 Shoei Loei, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2017