1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Low energy despite healthy practices

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by ilovebears, Oct 31, 2015.

1. ilovebears

I just figured out that I have very low energy, and it takes a strong will to do anything. I don't naturally enjoy having to do things that don't involve sitting (i.e., hiking is awful).

The weird thing is, I don't know why. I have a lot of protein in my diet, I drink water almost exclusively (only one beer twice a month), I exercise regularly (skateboarding and biking), I average 7 hours of sleep every day, I love grad school (art) and am doing well, I have a great social circle, and I have regular sex...

And when I do exercise, I'm fine when I'm doing it, the only problem is willing myself to do it.

I have always been like this, but it's not so good when I'm doing all of these things to stay healthy. Maybe I'm only noticing the times when I do have low energy... but it's kinda crazy when it's a nice day for skateboarding, and I have to force myself to do it. I'm also grateful that I experience cabin fever if I don't leave my flat by noon.

I'm definitely going to see a doctor about this, but I was just seeing if anyone had any suggestions or anything to say at the moment... I have no idea what I'd be like if I didn't force myself to do so much constantly.

2. DinelodiiGitli

I have a similar issue only it's due to a health problem.

Can you pin point sort of why you have low energy? Like are you tired or does it feel more like a lack of motivation (no insult intended)?
    One thing I'd look into is making sure you have a good ratio of sodium in your diet. It's something that's easy to overlook and too much or too little can leave you feeling run down. Same goes for b12 levels.

3. ilovebears

I got my b12 levels and other things checked and I'm totally fine.
    I don't know, I just wish I was a pile of goo on the ground...

4. UniqueJourney

I've been extremely worn down and perpetually exhausted for the past 5 years. My doctor is having me do a sleep study next month to see if there's a problem with the quality of my sleep.

You said you average about 7 hrs a night. Do you feel rested when you wake up?

5. Lindsey23

When you see the doctor ask them to check your thyroid. A blood test can determine if you have hypothyroidism which can cause fatigue.

6. Blackbirdz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Research has found that a sedentary lifestyle can contribute to fatigue. If you find that you are sitting or lying down too much, it could cause you to feel more tired than you really are. Try to stay active during the day. Don't sit for long periods at a time. Stand up, walk around, stretch your legs, and get your heart rate up.

7. lilla

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I want to second this! Also, is there any chance that you could be mildly depressed? Sometimes depression can cause those symptoms.