1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you date a bi/pansexual person?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by hellotherelove, Oct 19, 2014.

1. hellotherelove

I was talking to my friend today, who is a lesbian and who I have a bit of a crush on. She told me that she would never date a girl who is bi/pan (like me...even though I am mostly interested in women) not because she's afraid they would cheat, but because she would feel like she as a female could never be "everything" to that person, that they would always want something only a guy could offer them. This was really heartbreaking because she thinks she could never be enough, but also that this is truly how people view bisexual people. I've always been really proud of being bi, now it just makes me sad...

Could you ever love a bi/pansexual person?

Sorry for the depressing subject matter :confused: I just thought I'd ask.

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  3. KayJay

We've had many threads similar to this. Generally most people here I think say they would date someone who is bi or pan. I definitely would, no reason not to if you are attracted to them and like them as a person.

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Absolutely not!

Bisexuals are unable to commit to one person.
    Bisexuals are just confused, and are really heterosexual or homosexual.
    Bisexuals don't have the capability to love anything, it's only uncontrollable lust.
    Bisexuals give a bad name to heterosexuals and homosexuals, because they can choose.
    Bisexuals are filthy, for sleeping with the non-preferred gender, with all their cooties and stuff.
    Bisexuals will only cheat on you, because they lack any kind of self-control, or means to stay in a single relationship.

Of course I would! And if you think I was being serious, above, well, I don't blame you -- I've heard those types of remarks, made, and unconditionally believed in.

5. CrazyAwkward

Yep! Someone being bi/pan wouldn't bother me at all.

6. hellotherelove

oops. Sorry for the duplicate question. I'm new here and didn't see one like it. Thank you for sharing though :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 19th Oct 2014 at 08:41 PM ----------

I was really sad there for a few seconds :lol:

7. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't see any reason why I wouldn't.

This is like saying 'My partner likes both blonds and brunettes, so I would have to be both for them to be fully content.' If you really like the person you're with then you're not going to look elsewhere or pine for things that others have to offer, because being with your partner makes you happier.

8. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I would say yes, if they were completely monogamous and could live without men if they plan to stay with me. I have heard people say that bisexuals are fluid and struggle with monogamy (many statements coming from bi people themselves), but I don't think that's always true and would date someone if that wasn't true for them.

9. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would. Personally I would prefer to date someone is bi/pan, since they would understanding what it means to be bi. However, if someone is straight or a lesbian, I will still date them and love them just the same.

10. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sure~. ^.^ I prefer other lesbians, but I'd definitely be open to dating a bi/pan girl if I was attracted to her.

11. Acm

Acm Guest

12. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess any more I really don't get the desire/expectation to be "everything" to another person. I don't think anybody can do that, ever. I've known plenty of relationships...straight, gay, bi, whatever...where people, say, take separate vacations, keep their finances separate, eat at different times/places, exercise differently, or just plain have little in common and don't really hang out. Let's say you love sushi and Mexican, and your partner is a great cook and does a killer Mexican that you love. Are you seriously gonna be upset, because they don't also make great sushi? What's so special about sex that it's so different?

And *is* it so different? Even among women, sheesh, sex with my partner isn't the same as sex with my (long ago) ex. It's not loads better; it's not loads worse...it's just different. If I want *everything*...if I want to stop missing that thing my ex did, wouldn't I have to occasionally have sex with her too? It just sounds naïve, frankly.

I've got an amazing partner, and we do most everything together. We certainly vacation together, keep joint finances, eat together (usually even when it's difficult), and have developed loads of common habits and interests. But even with so much in common, we're not everything to one another. Yes, she lacks a penis, and yes, that increasingly makes a difference (to both of us, as I also lack a penis, and we're both bisexual). But that's just the tip of the iceberg...there are all *kinds* of things I can't get from her, because she's uniquely *her*. It would be ridiculous to think that absolutely everything I need I could get from *just one person*. And yet my relationship with her is as strong and solid as any I've seen, and more so than most I've seen. Why downplay that on the basis that we can't be *everything* to each other?

13. DinelodiiGitli

Of course I would, I don't see why not. :slight_smile:

14. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, and I would date a transgender person too.

People who are bigoted against multisexuals make me so, so, sad. :frowning2:

We even have some of them on EC. I won't mention them by name though, even though I want to.

15. Mangaholic

Mangaholic Guest

Ha, just because I'm bi, doesn't mean I need to be with men and women, it just means I like both (well, that's what it means for me).

So, I would date a bi person :slight_smile:

16. littlemonster11

As someone who is probably bi/pansexual herself, it would be kind of hypocritical to say that I wouldn't. :lol: That being said, yes, I would.

17. Blossom85

As a pansexual myself, then I too would be hypocritical if I said no.. But of course I would.. I don't place predjuice on any sexuality at all and being pansexual. I would really hope that others would want to date me as I am not to be judged by the misconceptions and mis information people hear about bisexual and pansexual people.

18. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I would communicate...
    often people have a false understanding of terms, and are sometimes insecure...
    so explaining what it means to you and what you want from a partnership should alleviate a lot of fears, imO..

19. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I'm not sure weather I'm lesbian or bi but I would definitely date a bi/pansexual person. Absolutely. It doesn't really make a difference to me.

These attitudes in the community are disappointing. You'd think we would support each other. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

20. antibinary

As long as they were nice, clever, and had some shared interest.